Home > Uncategorized > Cabo Swine Flu Update

Cabo Swine Flu Update

April 30th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

Swine flu update. I’ve been getting a lot of comments about Cabo swine flu on another blog. Seems appropriate to address it here. Readers’ comments below. My responses in red.

Cabo Swine Flu Mailbag

• What a shame. There are no cases of swine flu reported in Los Cabos as of today (April 28) yet many people will cancel their vacation plans due to the fear and panic that is spreading faster than the virus itself. I’m with Dan. While common sense precautions should be taken, undoubtedly this scare will all blow over in a few days or weeks (remember SARS?) and if you cancel your plans, you’ll miss out on having a fabulous time here.
  • i cant believe how irresponsible the media is… i live in cabo and its totally safe, we are like an island and the hot dry environment is non conducive for the spread of flu.
  • I am supposed to leave for Cabo San lucas on Saturday May 2, the 3 other passengers I booked the trip with are terrified that they will shut down the borders, and we will not be able to get back, anything I could tell them to make them feel better? I really want to go on vacation, and I am soo pissed at the media as well for making this bigger than it is! Tell your compatriot travelers to stop being little babies. ;) I’d only cancel your trip if you were going to Mexico City. Cabo should be fine. You’ll have a great time. Check out my Cabo guide.
  • listen… the medication that you need for this flu they sell over the counter. im not saying that this is something you should ignore, however with proper hygiene and basic precaution, you have nothing to worry about. almost 40,000 americans die every year from the flu and its always based on the same issues. lack of attention, precaution and available medical help. Or in other words, if you feel a little sick, go see a doctor.
    Dont let the media scare you from living your life… read up on this flu, check your sources and make your own educated decision. Dont forget that weather MSMBC or FOX, news is based on ratings and since the economy and drug wars have faded from the spot light, the associated press will jump on anything that has legs.
  • I’m from LA but live in England. I’m getting married in Vegas on the 9th and going to Cabo on the 14th. If my flight is flying, I’m going to Cabo! I’ve got cold medicine, antibac soap and plenty of tissue! I’ll wash my hands often and steer clear of subways (i know there isn’t oen there). I’M GOING TO CABO FOR MY HONEYMOON DAMN IT!!!
  • I’m supposed to be going to cabo for memorial day and I have no idea what to do….I really do not want to settle for anywhere else!
  • My husband and I are flying to Cabo on May 19th-27th —We are apprehensive but feel that Cabo is as safe as anywhere in Mexico. We are travelling by Alaskan Airlines, and feel reasonably safe, since this is a non-stop flight from San Francisco. We do not want to reschedule, as anyone who travels to Cabo knows how hot it can get further into the Summer. Your pros and cons will be appreciated. Shirley and Norm
  • I’m going to Cabo next Saturday May 9th, and I’m still definitely going!!! This is just the flu… over 100 people a day die on average in the US from the regular flu alone! No wonder so many people have the flu in Mexico City it is the most populated, polluted city on the planet… they say spending a day in Mexico City is like smoking 2 packs of cigarettes. The place is gross and Cabo isn’t even on the mainland… If you leave in Cali or would go to Cali its the same as going to Cabo. See ya there!!

That’s it for swine flu Los Cabos. The long and the short of it: No swine flu in Cabo yet. Joe Biden says avoid planes. I say be careful, have fun. See you in Cabo!

1. Kevin Fairbourn
    April 30th, 2009 at 18:36 | #1

we are also suppose to go to Cabo on May 9th.
    I’m in Utah , And just heard of unconfirmed yet ” probable” cases of Swine Flu here.
    Probably could get it here just as easy I suppose. No Confirmed cases in Cabo ? HELP ME ! I’m on the fence and don’t know if I should continue my travel plans.

• admin
      April 30th, 2009 at 21:07 | #2

You should go to Cabo and take reasonable precautions. I’d worry more about swine flu in a plane *to* anywhere than spending time *in* Cabo. It’s the confined, dead-air duration that should be of concern, not your excellent destination.

2. Michelle B
    May 1st, 2009 at 07:54 | #3

I am also going to Cabo May 9th and getting married there on the 13th….I’m going hell or high water along with 13 guests….None of our guests are worried…we are bringing medication and masks for the flight back….Unless they shut the border down……We are there.

3. Dave S
    May 1st, 2009 at 11:41 | #4

I am going on the 9th for a week. There are more caes in San Diego than Cabo (zero so far). I’ve also heard, this is antioehr flu variant, and many exhibit regular flu symptoms. Swine is not a killer, just another flu. Take precautions and have fun…Besides I am counting on super deals and no waiting! Take it as a great time to bargain!.

4. Courtney C
    May 3rd, 2009 at 14:45 | #5

I’m supposed to leave for Cabo on the 6th, and am not worried about the swine flu. I am wondering, however, if the restaurants, etc. will still be open, and what the atmosphere will be like. Does anyone have any input on this? I would hate to be sitting at the pool with everyone around me wearing SARS masks. I LOVE Cabo and just want it to be similar to my usual trip (definitely don’t mind if the places are less busy, but just don’t want a dreary state-of-mind from everyone around). Thanks for any help or reports from recent Cabo visits…

• swine flu tracker
      May 3rd, 2009 at 18:38 | #6

I’ve heard no reports of odd “flu behavior” or “flu policies” in Cabo due to the swine flu outbreaks elsewhere in Mexico.

5. May 3rd, 2009 at 17:03 | #7

I am going to Cabo on the 9th. Girlfriends going with me say the bars and nightclubs are closed due to the flu. Isn’t this just in Mexico City?

• swine flu tracker
      May 3rd, 2009 at 18:37 | #8

Yes, Swine flu is largely localized to the area near Mexico City.

6. GEOKRI
    May 4th, 2009 at 14:15 | #9

We are in Cabo from Calgary and there is no bloody swine flu here. Just good times!

No people wearing masks of whatever. Come on down.

7. Samantha
    May 5th, 2009 at 12:35 | #10

Just got back from Cabo with 6 girlfriends, we were visiting from Los Angeles. There is NO swine flu in Cabo. YOu’d have a better chance of getting sick at the massively crowded terminal at LAX or on a NYC bus.

We stayed from May 1st to May 5th. It was one of the best trips I’ve ever taken. All stores and businesses open and just fantastic people and beaches. Dont let the media run your life. Live it!

8. Samantha
    May 5th, 2009 at 12:37 | #11

@Judi
    We just got back on the 4th… (6 women!) everything is open and it’s fantastic. We almost cancelled too. Don’t listen to the media or your naysaying friends and family and enjoy Cabo!!!!

9. Sweeta
    May 5th, 2009 at 13:47 | #12

I’ll be there on the 8th of this month. I can’t wait!! See you down there!!

10. Sweeta
    May 5th, 2009 at 13:49 | #13

@Judi
    But I heard that they are starting to open businesses again in Mexico City!

11. delena
    May 5th, 2009 at 14:02 | #14

My fiancee and I are to travel to cabo on May 16 – 23 however we have a layover in Mexico City for 1hour 35 min I’ve been trying to get Mexicana airlines to change our flight to a direct flight into cabo and they have been so rude and don’t want to help. I was on the phone with them for 2 hrs 11 min 37 sec tried to talk to a supervisor and they refused to transfer the call. I still want to go on my trip i just don’t want to fly into mexico. I also just found out that Mexicana airlines have changed our flight time and it will cause us to miss our connecting flight to cabo does anyone have any suggestion for me. This is my honeymoon before the wedding i really dont want to miss it!!

12. Wabo Man
    May 5th, 2009 at 15:00 | #15

My wife and I, her sister and husband and brother and wife have been planning our trip for a year. Not much stopping us 5/18 to 5/25. But please all you sickly people who get anything from anyone or who have a desire to wear a mask, please stay home. We’ll appreciate the extra table at the pub/rest., less visitors and pleasant locals thankful for our business. My wife and I went to Key West about a month after 9/11 and found all the empty locations and small groups on the activities a great relief. Stay home everyone much too unsafe to travel….

13. Janet
    May 6th, 2009 at 10:20 | #16

Were all the clubs and restaurants open??

14. Janet
    May 6th, 2009 at 10:22 | #17

@Sweeta
    Can you please let me know how your trip was when you get back? I’m supposed to go in 2 weeks and I would appreciate an update

15. Julie
    May 9th, 2009 at 12:11 | #18

We are from SF and decided not to cancel our weekend trip to Cabo May 7th. It has been a totally clean, safe and wonderful trip. There is truly no risk. Not one case reported here. Its super clean and super safe. Its media hype and the poor Mexican economy is taking the hit.

1. No trackbacks yet.